I’ve always loved Asian inspired salads.
I love the freshness of the herbs, the crunchiness of the nuts, and the distinct flavor of the ginger dressing.
So when I found this recipe in an issue of Relish, the food publication that comes with the Sunday newspaper, I tore it out and put it in my recipe box.
That was in 2012.
It took me 3 years, but I FINALLY made the recipe.
Asian Chicken Salad – 6 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value
Not gonna lie, it takes several ingredients that you might not have already in your refrigerator or cabinet.
I don’t typically have fish sauce, hoisin sauce, or sesame oil.
So if these are ingredients you’re willing to buy to make this recipe and keep around for other recipes requiring these ingredients, it will be well worth it.
I tweaked the Relish recipe a little bit.
Wegman’s didn’t have the bagged shredded napa cabbage. I didn’t feel like cutting up a 1/2 head of napa cabbage, so I got a bag of cole slaw (cabbage & carrots) instead.
Sometimes they’ll have the bagged shredded napa cabbage, but the day I was shopping for the ingredients, they didn’t.
I also, for the life of me, couldn’t find rice wine vinegar.
I found rice vinegar and I found wine vinegar, but not rice wine vinegar. I opted for the rice vinegar.
Here is the printable recipe for Asian Chicken Salad:
- - 1/2 head napa cabbage, thinly sliced (I used a 16 oz bag of cole slaw mix instead)
- - 2 (3 to 4 oz) packages dried Ramen noodles, seasoning removed, broken into bite-size pieces)
- - 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I boiled 2 boneless, skinless breasts)
- - 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- - 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
- - 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- - 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- - 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- - 1 (1 inch) piece ginger root, peeled & grated
- - 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- - 1/4 cup peanuts, toasted
- - 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, sliced
- - 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, sliced
- - 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, sliced
- Mix together cabbage, Ramen noodles and chicken in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl or jar, mix hoisin sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and toss well to coat all the ingredients.
- You can do this a few hours ahead so that the seasoned sauce will moisten the dried noodles.
- Just before serving, sprinkle salad with peanuts, basil, cilantro, & mint.
- Have bowls of herbs on the table so everybody can add what they like.
6 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value
Mmmm mmmm! Was it ever tasty!
I couldn’t wait to finish taking pictures so I could dig in!
It happened to be lunch time when I made it.
Perfect lunch time salad!
The Ramen noodles soak up a lot of the dressing, which makes the noodles soft and not crunchy.
The crunchiness comes from the peanuts.
A couple things I might change for next time would be to make more of the dressing.
I would’ve liked a little bit more dressing to add to the top of my bowl of salad.
The dressing was so tasty and fresh, that I wanted more of it.
I also might add some bean sprouts.
And for an added taste, mandarin oranges would be yummy on top.