In this post, I’m going to give you one of our sample CrossFit workouts with ways you can modify to fit your own fitness level.
I promise you, you will have fun, get an awesome workout, and feel like you can do anything!
Our Experience with CrossFit Workouts Using Modifications
As most of our readers know, Terri & I have done CrossFit workouts at our favorite gym, The X-Project School of Fitness.
We’ve learned so much including proper form and the knowledge of what our bodies can and can’t do.
And with that knowledge, we’ve learned to make necessary modifications.
No matter what the WoD (Workout of the Day) is, we know that we can participate in any and all CrossFit workouts.
It’s a great feeling!
Knowing that, even though there may be a bunch of super in-shape participants, we can be right beside them doing our thing and getting our workout-on with confidence.
An Example of one of our CrossFit Workouts
So if you’ve been hesitant about trying out something new, just know that anybody at any fitness level can do CrossFit!
To prove that, Terri & I decided to put together a compilation of short videos.
Terri was the camera operator while I did the workout.
Every day when you walk into The X-Project, there’s a whiteboard that tells you exactly what that day’s WoD (Workout of the Day) will be.
If you want to know even sooner, you can also go to The X-Project’s WoD section to see in advance what the CrossFit workouts will be.
We try to get to the gym around 15 minutes before the class so we can have time to stretch out and get mentally prepared for the class.
So without further ado, here are a few short videos of what a one-hour CrossFit workout looks like using modifications.
Stretching & Pre-Warmup Should Begin All of Your CrossFit Workouts
Stretching is super important before any exercise.
It helps to warm up your joints and muscles and to prevent injuries during the intense CrossFit workout.
- Lunges – You can modify by going at your own pace and determine how low of a lunge you can comfortably do.
- Jogging in place – If jogging in place is too hard, just walk in place. Or just don’t lift your knees as high up.
- Butt Kicks – The more advanced way to do butt kicks is to jog while doing them, but you can stand in place while doing them.
- Jogging to running – Again, go at your own pace. Nobody else in the class cares. They only care about how well they’re doing, so do your own thing. If you have to walk in place, do that. You’re still getting a good workout.
Watch the video below to see how I modified my stretching and my pre-warmup.
Warmups Are Essential Before All CrossFit Worouts
- Squats – To modify squats, just don’t go down as deep until your quad muscles are stronger and can support your body. Believe me, they will get stronger quickly if you keep doing squats. Just be sure you’re doing them correctly or you could hurt your back.
- Kettle Bell Swings – I luvs me some kettle bell swings! You can modify by using lighter weight kettle bells until you’re strong enough to move up to the next weight. You have to make sure that your feet are properly placed while swinging the kettle bell.
- Deadlifts – Deadlifts are a skill that takes a little while to master. Take your time with deadlifts and be sure a trainer watches you so that they can help you with the proper form. Again, you can hurt your back if you do them incorrectly.
Watch the below video to see how I modified my squats, kettle bell swings, and deadlifts.
5 Minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible in 5 minutes):
- Squats Using a Goblet Weight, 5 Reps – My modification: Air Squats without using the extra weight of the goblet weights.
- Lunges Using a Goblet Weight, 5 Reps – My modification: Lunges without using the extra weight of the goblet weights.
- Kettle Bell Swings, 5 Reps – My modification: I used a 26 pound kettle bell, which was a good weight for my fitness level.
Watch the below video to see how I modified my AMRAP.
Strength EMOM 10 (Every Minute on the Minute for 10 minutes) with partner
- Box Squats: 10 sets of 3 at 80-85%
- My modifications:
- This is where it’s important to know what your 85% is. The coaches can help you with deciding how much weight to use.
- I partnered up with my friend Belinda and we used a 35 pound bar and added 10 pound weights on each end.
Watch the below video to see how I modified my EMOM.
MetCon (Metabolic Conditioning) 12 minutes
Goal: Unbroken movements between pull-up and TTB (Toes to Bar)
- 10 Front Squats – My modification: Goblet Squats
- 5 Pull-Ups – My modification: Ring Rows
- 5 TTB (Toes to Bar) – Modification: Hollow Body Leg Raise) – I modified even more and did traditional sit-ups with the heels of my feet together and using a back pad.
Watch the below video to see how I modified my Metcon.
The CrossFit WoD’s are different every single day.
You’ll never be bored.
You’ll meet friends and begin to build a camaraderie with the people who go to the same classes as you. They truly become like family.
The coaches are amazing.
It’s a group personal training session each time you go in for a class.
And last but not least, it’s an amazing workout!
So what are you waiting for?
If you haven’t been to a CrossFit class, try it out for yourself.
And if you’re in Frederick, Maryland, come into The X-Project and workout with us!
For more exercise related posts, click on over to:
CrossFit Women: Expert Tips From A Female CrossFit Certified Trainer
6 Benefits of Walking For Your Well Being!
Weight Watchers PUNCH! Low Impact Kickboxing DVD Review
- Events in Frederick Md This Weekend | March 30-April 2 - March 23, 2023
- Cajun Shrimp Gumbo Recipe with Andouille Sausage - March 8, 2023
- Egg Roll Casserole Recipe - February 24, 2023
2 thoughts on “CrossFit Workouts at Your Fitness Level Using Modifications”
YOU guys are amazing. AMAZING. You beet go on with those squats!!! Fantastic. I have knee issues, so when I work out, I have to do modifications too that don’t require jumping. Thanks for the tips!!
Thank you so much Lynne! Yes, you can totally do it. Most of what you do in CrossFit is low impact and whatever is high impact can be modified. You never get bored and it’s so much fun!