Sausage and Chard Soup – 8 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value
8 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausagecut into 1 inch slices
- 1 large onionthinly sliced
- 2 ribs celerychopped
- 2 cloves garlicminced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-oz cans cannellini beansdrained and rinsed
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 small bunch Swiss chardstems removed, leaves chopped
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesanoptional
Warm oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute sausage until browned, about 10 minutes; transfer to plate. Add onion and celery; saute until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper. Saute 1 minute.
Pour in broth, raise heat to high and bring just to a boil, scraping up brown bits. Return sausage to pot; stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to low, then simmer for 15 minutes.
Season soup with salt and pepper. Stir in chard; cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in parsley and top with Parmesan, if desired.
To Freeze: Do not add chard or parsley. Let soup cool. Transfer to a freezer-safe container (leave 1/2-inch space at the top) and freeze.To Serve: Thaw in fridge overnight. Reheat over medium-low heat, stirring, for 35 minutes. Stir in chard and parsley; cook for 1 minute.