This Cuban Chicken Soup recipe is a delicious, savory and comforting dish made with tender chicken, hearty vegetables, potatoes, noodles, and spices, all simmered together to create a flavorful and nourishing meal.
Also known as Sopa de Pollo, Cuban chicken soup recipes have been a popular, traditional dish in Cuban cuisine for generations.
At first glance, you might think that this Cuban style chicken soup is the same thing as the American version of chicken noodle soup.
However, Cuban cooks have adopted their own unique version, using local ingredients and spices, like:
As a matter of fact, there are so many ingredient variations, that you can experiment with the ingredients that your family prefers.
For example, the next time I make this I definitely want to substitute yucca for the potatoes!
Cuban Chicken Soup
Needless to say, this great recipe has a very distinct an interesting flavor, making it stand out from the run-of-the-mill chicken noodle soup.
And, because it’s so delicious, easy to make, affordable, and the ultimate comfort food, I decided to give this recipe a go!
Serve it up on a chilly day and you and your family will warm right up!
Simple & Easy to Find Ingredients
First and foremost, here are the simple ingredients for Cuban Chicken Soup:
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- Chicken Stock
- Corn on the Cob
- Garlic Cloves
- Medium Onion
- Sazon Packet (Goya)
- Black Pepper
- Angel Hair Pasta
Here are the very easy step-by-step instructions for making this delicious soup recipe!
Step 1: Season Chicken with Sazón Goya
First, season your chicken breasts with Sazón Goya (Amazon), a Latin seasoning.
Step 2: Cook Chicken on Stovetop
Then, place your chicken breasts in a large Dutch oven or large pot with 3 boxes of chicken stock (32 ounces each box).
Next, cook over medium-high heat for 45 minutes.
Step 3: Remove Chicken and Cut Into Bite-Size Pieces
Now, remove your chicken breasts from the pot and cut it up into bite size pieces.
Additionally, you can cut it into shredded chicken, which I actually prefer.
Then, place it back into the pot with the chicken stock.
Step 4: Add Remaining Ingredients Except Angel Hair Pasta
Now, add in your sliced carrots, corn cobs (I broke the cobs into smaller pieces), onions, garlic, potatoes, salt and pepper.
Then cover and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes or until your veggies and taters are tender.
Step 5: Add Angel Hair Pasta
Finally, add in your angel hair pasta and cook on simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
Now, this perfect comfort food on those cold days is ready to serve!
Serve with a side of Cuban bread or garlic bread and you’ve now experienced a little taste of Cuban cooking!
Substitutions and Additions
Here are some common substitutions and additions to this Cuban Chicken Soup recipe:
- Add tomato paste and/or tomato sauce to thicken the broth
- Chopped Bell Pepper or Green Peppers
- Bay Leaf
- Green Onions
- Substitute Fideo Pasta/Fidelini noodles (a thin Mexican noodle) or thin spaghetti
- Sweet Potatoes
- Lime Juice
- Sliced Celery Ribs
- Substitute chicken breasts for another cut of chicken such as bone-in chicken thighs or rotisserie chicken
- Hot Sauce
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Turmeric Powder
- Black Beans
- Substitute Chicken Bouillon for Chicken Stock
Alternatives to Cooking on the Stovetop
This Cuban chicken noodle soup recipe can absolutely be prepared in the instant pot or the slow cooker.
Just remember to not add the angel hair pasta until immediately before you are ready to serve the meal.
How To Store Cuban Chicken Soup Recipe
To store any leftovers, allow your soup to cool to room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
Then, place your soup in an airtight container with a tight lid and store in your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Finally, here is the recipe for this delicious, hearty soup!
Cuban Chicken Soup Recipe
Cuban Chicken Soup Recipe
- 4 Chicken Breasts, skinless, boneless
- 1 pkt Sazón Goya
- 96 oz Chicken Stock, (3) 32 oz boxes
- 3 ears Corn on the Cob
- 2 cups Carrots, sliced
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Potatoes, diced
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- ½ lb Angel Hair Pasta
- Season chicken breasts with Sazón Goya seasoning and place into large pot with chicken stock.
- Cook on stovetop over medium-high heat for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from stock and cut it up into bite size pieces OR shred it. Then place the chicken back into the large pot with the stock.
- Add corn on the cob (break each ear into 2 pieces), carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, salt & pepper.
- Then cover and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Now, add the angel hair pasta and cook on simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
Lastly, for more delicious soup recipes, click on over to:
Great Northern Bean Soup Recipe
- Events in Frederick Md This Weekend | March 30-April 2 - March 23, 2023
- Cajun Shrimp Gumbo Recipe with Andouille Sausage - March 8, 2023
- Egg Roll Casserole Recipe - February 24, 2023