Gift in a jar recipes are so clever for the holidays.
Because, really, for those of us who are fortunate enough to have everything we need, we’d rather receive something we can really use.
So, it got me thinking about what I could give people that they can ‘consume’.
Whether it be edible, drinkable, or just plain use-it-up-able (that’s my made up word), a gift in a jar would be a gift that would be used and not wasted.
And it’s better than a gift card because the person giving it has actually put some effort into it.
Not that a gift card is a bad gift, but in my experience with gift cards, oftentimes they don’t even get used.
Gift in a Jar Recipe
There are some types of gifts in a jar that I’m not as fond of as others.
For example, I don’t particularly like the gifts in a jar where the recipient has to add a bunch of ingredients that aren’t already included in the jar.
For this reason, that is why I like this Espresso Cocoa recipe.
Because all you have to do is add hot water and it’s ready!
- Wide Mouth Quart Size Mason Jars (Amazon)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Amazon)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup expresso powder (Amazon)
- 1 cup powdered milk (Amazon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate (Amazon) or miniature chocolate chips (Amazon).
- Using a canning funnel (Amazon), layer each ingredient (in the order listed) into a jar (I used a 1 quart mason jar).
- Add a ribbon (Amazon) and a tag (Amazon) wrapped around the mouth of the mason jar.
- And if you’re feeling extra giving, this super cute hot cocoa mug would complete the gift perfectly! It says “May your cocoa be hot and your marshmallows be fluffy”. Love it!
- This mix will fill a 1 quart jar and makes 12 servings.
- On the back of your tag, write or type the following:
- Makes 12 servings.
- Mix contents into a large bowl.
- For each serving, place 1/3 cup cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup boiling water.
- Store remaining mix in airtight container (You can put it back into the closed mason jar).
This stuff is to die for!
The combination of the espresso and the cocoa and chocolate chips make this rich hot beverage so very delectable.
And the powdered milk add a creaminess to it, as the sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness.
Really, it’s Christmas morning in your mouth!
This is probably the quickest, easiest, most practical gift I’ve ever made.
But yet, it’s very cute and who doesn’t like hot cocoa?
These make great gifts for you family and friends!
Also, they’d be a nice treat for teachers, daycare providers, hairstylists, or whoever else you’d like to show your appreciation for during the holiday season.
Below is a printable version of this recipe, along with the nutrition information.
Gift in a Jar Recipe: Espresso Cocoa
Gift in a Jar Recipe: Espresso Cocoa
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Espresso powder
- 1 cup Powdered milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Chopped bittersweet chocolate OR Miniature Chocolate Chips
- Use a funnel to layer your ingredients into a 1 quart mason jar.
- Decorate your jar with a pretty ribbon.
- Add a tag giving the instructions: Makes 12 servings. Mix contents in a large bowl. For each serving, place 1/3 cup cocoa mix in a mug & stir in 1 cup boiling water. Store remaining mix in airtight container. You can add the mix back to the mason jar and secure the lid.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
And, while we’re on the subject of gift in a jar recipes, here are a few others we love:
- Outdoor Activities in Frederick Md: Enjoy What Our Town Has To Offer! - July 22, 2020
- Best Fishing Spots in Frederick Md - July 18, 2020
- Cauliflower Fritters with Almond Flour: Low Carb & Delicious! - July 14, 2020