This is a recipe that my sister-in-law introduced me to one summer when we were visiting her home in Brewster, Massachusetts. She always rolls out the red carpet for us whenever we come up to visit. Her dinners are no exception.
She gave me this recipe verbally and I could not find it online, so I am officially calling it Brewster Salad.
Here are the ingredients:
- 12 oz bag of broccoli slaw (I got this at Wegmans)
- 3/4 c of craisins (I used Pomegranate flavor)
- 3/4 c slivered candied nuts (I used the honey roasted Almond Accents)
- 3/4 c vidalia onion dressing (I used the lite version)
- Small bunch of fresh cilantro, snipped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
The beauty of this recipe is that there are really no directions except to toss it all into a bowl and mix well. You can’t get any easier than that. This is a great salad to chill and eat later. It keeps well, better than the typical tossed salad, and can be eaten as leftovers for a few days afterwards. You can also add other items to make it more of a main meal. Yesterday, I added some canned chicken and ate it for lunch. It was so good and satisfying!
This salad is a great side dish with some grilled local swordfish (from Cape Cod of course!) and roasted red potatoes. If you’ve ever been to Cape Cod, you’ll know that they are well known for their cranberries. You can drive by many cranberry bogs while sightseeing. Hence, another reason why I’m calling this salad Brewster Salad.
Here is the nutrition information:
- Serving size = 1 cup
- Total Servings = 5
- Per serving, this recipe has 296 calories, 13g fat, 176mg sodium, 42g carbs, 6.5 g fiber, 31g sugar, 4g protein.
So, next time you’re thinking about making a salad with dinner and are tired of the same old tossed salad, give this recipe a try. It’s really tasty and actually a lot healthier than iceberg lettuce with some tomatoes thrown in.
Latest posts by Pam (see all)
- Indoor Activities For Kids in Frederick Md During School Breaks - April 16, 2019
- Quick Dinner in the Car Ideas That Don’t Involve Fast Food - April 8, 2019
- Easy Greek Tzatziki Bowl with Meatballs & Couscous - March 29, 2019