These loaded egg cups are the bomb for busy breakfast mornings!
I love anything involving eggs.
For instance, omelets, egg salad, hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, poached eggs, eggs over easy…pretty much anything!
In addition, eggs are a super healthy source of protein.
So when I saw this delicious looking loaded egg cups recipe in my Cooking Light Magazine, I had to try it out.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
And if you’re looking for a compilation of amazingly delicious, lightened up recipes, you really need to get Gina Homolka’s SkinnyTaste Cookbook.
I’ve made several of her recipes and they’re all so good!
Loaded Egg Cups – 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
Knowing that each serving is only 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints makes it a no-brainer for me.
Obviously, I’ve put this recipe in my 3-ring recipe binder to make again in the future.
By the way, this binder has been a game changer for me.
I used to print out recipes, fold them up and stuff them in a recipe box.
It was always overflowing.
This binder comes with 12 tab dividers and 20 sticker labels with categories and one large pocket.
The inside front and back cover include measurement equivalents and common substitutions.
It’s SO much easier now to find my go-to recipes!
Loaded Egg Cups Are Super Easy To Make
A little bit of preparation is required, but it’s so well worth it.
First, flatten out 6 slices of whole wheat bread with a rolling pin and cut the crusts off.
Then, cut each slice in half diagonally and then brush each side of the bread, using a basting brush, with a little bit of melted butter and place into muffin cups.
How The Egg Cups Should Look In The Muffin Tin Before Adding Other Ingredients
Here’s what the bread looks like in the muffin tin before baking them into crispy cups.
Yes, I need new muffin tins.
I guess you could say a lot of love went into these tins.
Loaded Egg Cups – 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipe
Loaded Egg Cups - 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- - 6 slices whole-wheat bread
- - 1 tablespoon butter melted
- - 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- - 1/4 cup finely chopped tomato
- - 6 large eggs
- - 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- - 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- - 2 bacon slices cooked & crumbled (I used store-bought cooked & crumbled bacon)
- - 1 tablespoon chopped spring onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Flatten each bread slice with a rolling pin until very thin. Trim crusts off bread. Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with melted butter. Cut each bread slice in half diagonally.
- With cut sides facing, place 2 bread halves in each of 6 muffin cups, making sure to cover bottom entirely and allowing bread corners to extend above rims.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until bread is slightly firm.
- Remove pan from oven; sprinkle 2 teaspoons shredded cheese into each cup.
- Top each cup with 2 teaspoons chopped tomato.
- Crack 1 egg into each cup; sprinkle eggs evenly with salt and pepper.
- Bake an additional 18 to 20 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are still a bit runny.
- Remove egg cups from pan; sprinkle evenly with bacon & spring onions.
* 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value
These loaded egg cups are seriously delicious!
The combination of the cheese, tomatoes, bacon, spring onions, and a sunny-side up egg all enveloped inside a toasty vessel was heaven to my taste buds!
With a total of 11 grams of protein per toast cup, this is a great breakfast option to start your day off right.
Make Ahead Of Time For Busy Mornings
And the beauty of these cups is that you can make them in advance and just pop them in the oven to warm through when you’re ready to eat them.
I’ve already got some in a container in the refrigerator for my husband to bake in the morning before he leaves for work.
How do you like your eggs?
We’d love to hear back from you in the comments!
Here’s to a Sunny-Side Up Day!
For more egg recipes, check out our posts on:
Latest posts by Pam (see all)
- Weight Watchers Lunch Ideas: Pesto, Toasted Pine Nut, Mozzarella Panini - August 21, 2019
- 7 Reasons You Need To Eat at the New Hometown Harvest Kitchen - August 17, 2019
- Beaches In & Around Frederick, Md: Take a Fun Day Trip! - August 5, 2019