Whether you celebrate Lent (the season of penance and prayer before Easter) or not, tis the season for Fish Frys!
What is a fish fry, you ask?
As defined on Wikipedia, they “are very common in the Midwestern and northeastern regions of the United States. This is especially true for predominantly Roman Catholic communities on Fridays during Lent, when regulations call for abstinence from most meat products.”
There’s a great article in the Frederick News Post, titled, “You Don’t Have to Be Catholic To Enjoy Lenten Fish Frys”.
In the article, the author reviews a fish fry that she really enjoyed!
This year, Lent 2022 begins on Ash Wednesday, March 22, 2022 and will end on Thursday, April 14, 2022.
We put together a list of local churches, as well as restaurants, who offer fish fry dinners on Fridays during the Lenten season.
You don’t have to be a member of a church to attend one of these Fish Fry’s, and you don’t have to be a Christian either.
In our alphabetical list (first churches, then restaurants), we’ve included the name, address, phone number, & website link for each fish fry location.
Be sure to call each location before driving to your fish fry of choice so that you can confirm that they are still offering a fish fry for that evening.
For instance, some churches don’t offer fish fry dinners every Friday during Lent.
Local Fish Frys in Frederick Md
1. Evangelical Reformed United Church of Christ
2. Holy Family Catholic Community
3. Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church
4. Saint Ignatius of Loyola Catholic Church
5. St. John The Evangelist Roman Catholic Church
6. St. Joseph-on-Carrollton Manor Catholic Church
7. St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church
1. Anchor Bar
3. CarterQue BBQ & Grilling Co.
4. Imojae’s Soul Food
- Regular fish dinners with two sides and rolls or sour cream cornbread $20
- Add shrimp to the above dinner $25
- Sides are
- Mac and Cheese
- Green Beans
- Baked Beans
- Hush Puppies…fried whiting or catfish nuggets.
Please direct message Imojae’s on their Facebook page to get their location.
5. Jefferson Ruritan Center
6. Liberty Road Seafood & Steak
7. Magoo’s Pub & Eatery
8. Oriole’s Nest 331
9. P.I.G.S. BBQ
882 N East St
Frederick, MD 21701
Fish Fry every Friday during Lent with Beer Battered Cod, Old Bay Fries and sauce gribiche.
11. The Derby Restaurant & Bar
If you’d like some good home-cooked food, consider bringing your family for a special meal out!
If you know of any Fish Fry’s in Frederick County that I’ve missed, please let me know in the comments below!
Lastly, for fish recipes you can make at home, click on over to: