Flower pens are a great DIY project to make with your child to show your appreciation for their teachers!
Flower Pens: Practical Teacher Appreciation Gifts
Teacher appreciation gifts are something that every parent of school age children will think about throughout their childrens’ school career.
I have a huge respect for school teachers, as their jobs have a direct impact on my child’s education.
Therefore, when I give teacher appreciation gifts, I want them to be special, from the heart, and also practical.
Back when my son was finishing up his year in Kindergarten, I searched high and low for a really cute gift idea for his teacher.
I wanted it to show that we took some time into it, but for it to also be a gift that wouldn’t be thrown into the pile of other ‘don’t-know-what-I’m-going-to-do-with-this’ handmade teacher gifts.
Hence, we (or I) decided on making these super cute flower pens!
Flower Pens: Super Easy To Make
These are so easy to make, it’s actually kind of embarrassing.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- A roll of floral tape
- A package of approximately 10 cap-top pens (you don’t want to use the button-push pens because the floral tape will cover the button)
- Artificial flowers (approximately 10)
- A cute container
- Flat glass marbles (you might need 2 to 3 small bags of these – I used different colors)
- Wire cutters (I had my own from my past life as a handmade jewelry designer, but I’m sure your husband has a pair in his toolbox)
You can purchase all of the above items on Amazon by clicking the links.
I got the floral tape, the artificial flowers, the cute polka dot pot, and the flat glass marbles all from the Christmas Tree Shops in Hagerstown, MD.
Love that place!
I bought the pens from Weis grocery store.
How To Make Flower Pens
Now here’s how you make them:
- With the wire cutters, cut the stem of each artificial flower so that the top of the flower is flush to the bottom of the pen and the end of the stem is the length of the pen up to the cap.
- Once you have cut all of the artificial flowers, unroll the floral tape and wrap it generously around the stem and the pen, starting from the bottom of the stem to the very top of the stem.
- The floral tape sticks to itself, so it will stay in place once you’ve wrapped all the way to the top.
- Once you have completed all of the pen flowers, pour your flat marbles inside your container and then stick the flower pens inside to form an arrangement.
And there ya have it.
Not much to it, but oh so cute!
My son’s teacher’s favorite color is yellow.
We also included a little notepad to go with the pens.
It’s a decoration and a useful item all at the same time!
What’s your favorite teacher appreciation gift to give and/or receive?
For more DIY ideas, go to our posts on: