When Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, ’tis like the morn in Spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
When Irish hearts are happy,
All the world seems bright and gay.
And when Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, they steal your heart away.
I found this green velvet cake recipe on Pinterest – go figure. It’s from a site called Love From the Oven. Her version is Green Velvet Cake Pops. They look amazing! However, I do not have the patience to make cake pops. So I decided to use this recipe and make cupcakes and cake instead.
My reason for this celebration? Not so much that it’s St. Patrick’s Day, but St. Patrick’s Day also happens to be my husband’s birthday.
These are actually pictures of the green velvet cupcakes and cake that I made him last year for his birthday. But since we didn’t have a blog last year, I decided to share this recipe with you now.
Here’s the recipe:
- - 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- - 2 cups sugar
- - 1 Tablespoon cocoa
- - 1 teaspoon salt
- - 1 teaspoon baking soda
- - 2 eggs
- - 1 cup oil
- - 1 cup buttermilk
- - 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- - 1 teaspoon vanilla
- - 1 oz green food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your cake pans and/or muffin tins.
- Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with whisk.
- Add in remaining liquid ingredients.
- Whisk until blended and sit aside.
- Place all dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together well.
- Add food coloring into the wet ingredients.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or two until well combined.
- Pour the batter into cake pans or cupcake pans.
- For one 8″ cake pan, bake about 22 minutes.
- For regular size cupcakes bake about 16 minutes.
- For mini cupcakes bake about 13 minutes.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes and than remove from pans.
- While cooling, prepare frosting.
You can use the store-bought cream cheese icing or use the below recipe:
- - 1 package of softened cream cheese
- - 1/4 cup softened butter
- - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- - 1 bag powdered sugar (2 lb bag)
- - Milk as needed
- Cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar and continue mixing.
- Add in milk as needed to get to the desired consistency.
- Frost and decorate with green sprinkles and other St. Patrick's Day edible decorations.
This green velvet cake and the cupcakes were a huge hit with my husband, my son, my family and friends. The only caveat that I would mention – and this is a little TMI, but don’t be surprised when you go to the bathroom that what you see is greener than normal for the next few days! Just sayin’.
So, with that,
May flowers always line your path and sunshine light your day.
May songbirds serenade you every step along the way.
May a rainbow run beside you in a sky that’s always blue.
And may happiness fill your heart each day your whole life through
And the happiest of birthdays to my wonderful husband!! I love you!
And a Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all!
Latest posts by Pam (see all)
- Miller & Smith at Tallyn Ridge: New Homes in Frederick, Maryland - January 18, 2018
- Summers Farm: 6 Healthy Reasons to Visit - September 22, 2017
- Massey’s Landing: 10 Reasons to Stay at This Luxury Campground - September 4, 2017