This delicious, healthy, vegetarian soup recipe is perfect for our asparagus lovers!
With asparagus, carrots, peas, scallions and orzo pasta, it’s so tasty and good for you!
Asparagus Soup with Orzo
You know what I love about Weight Watchers recipes?
Following their diet isn’t a requirement in order to enjoy them!
I found this recipe for Asparagus Soup with Orzo in one of my Weight Watchers pamphlets when I was going to the meetings.
I don’t go to the meetings anymore, but I still enjoy making healthy meals that don’t taste like you’re on a ‘diet’.
This Asparagus Soup with Orzo totally fits the bill!
A Year-Round Soup Recipe
The Weight Watchers version of this soup is called Spring Vegetable Soup with Orzo.
But I like to think you can eat this year-round.
Not just in the spring.
It turned out delicious.
I love how it is chock full of orzo and veggies, with asparagus being one of my favorite veggies.
Some Personal Preference Changes For Next Time
One thing I would change next time I make this would be to omit the lemon juice and the dill.
I think these two ingredients are what put the ‘Spring’ into the Weight Watchers version of this soup.
But, I didn’t like the taste of lemon and dill with the rest of the ingredients.
Just a personal preference.
I feel like it would taste heartier without the lemon and dill.
When you make it, decide on your own whether or not to include these ingredients and let me know what you think.
Variations to this Asparagus Soup with Orzo Recipe
This soup is a great vegetarian option for those who don’t eat meat.
If you do eat meat, you could add in some chicken and make an even heartier soup.
Or, to keep it vegetarian, add in some tofu to make it more of a stick-to-your-ribs kind of soup.
Asparagus Soup with Orzo Recipe
Asparagus Soup with Orzo – 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value
- - 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- - 2/3 cups uncooked orzo
- - 1 large uncooked carrot, diced
- - 1 1/2 cups uncooked asparagus, sliced diagonally in bite-size pieces
- - 1 cup frozen green peas
- - 4 medium uncooked scallions, sliced
- - 1/3 cup dill, fresh, chopped (optional)
- - 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, optional
- - 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- - 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add orzo and carrots; boil 7 minutes.
- Add asparagus and frozen peas; boil until orzo and vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in scallions, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Yields 1 cup per serving.
What healthy soup recipes do you have in your arsenal?
For more delicious soup recipes, click on over to: