Cream of crab soup fits right into the category of the saying, “Maryland is for Crabs”.
Ms. Charlese Smith was the Grand Prize Winner in the Soup Division for this recipe at the 53rd Annual National Hard Crab Derby in Crisfield, Maryland.
So she is the person who gets credit for this wonderful recipe!
Thank you Charlese!
Cream of Crab Soup
Being born and raised in Maryland, I grew up eating crabs all of my life.
I remember the days of my Dad getting a bushel of crabs and the family gathered around the table hammering and picking all night long.
As a result, it’s a ritual that I fondly remember, but also one that we don’t do nearly as often as we used to.
Because I love any recipe involving crabs, when I saw this recipe for Grand Prize Maryland Cream of Crab Soup, I jumped on it.
Not gonna lie though, when I went to the store to get the crab meat already picked and ready to use, I felt a little bit guilty.
The reason? I didn’t have to spend hours picking the crabs.
However, not having to work for that crab meat definitely has an appeal to it!
And, heck, go ahead and wear yourself this cute crab picking t-shirt (Amazon) even though you’re not actually picking the crab meat out of the crabs for this recipe!
I promise you, it’ll get you more in the mood.
History Behind Grand Prize Maryland Cream of Crab Soup
So, I found this recipe on Pinterest and clicked on the link to a site called Just A Pinch.
Being that this recipe is a Maryland recipe and that it won the Grand Prize in an annual National Hard Crab Derby, held in Crisfield, Md, known as the ‘Seafood Capital of the World’, I had to make it!
We Marylanders have a lot of pride in our state.
For instance, we are super proud of our Maryland State Flag.
So much so, that we wear it on our clothes as much as we can!
But, I digress.
Back to the recipe.
Items You’ll Need To Make This Cream of Crab Soup
- A Good Stockpot – This Cuisinart 6 quart Stockpot with Lid (Amazon) is the perfect choice for making cream of crab soup.
- Soup Mixing Spoon – I really like the OXO Brushed Stainless Spoon (Amazon). It’s a good quality mixing spoon.
- Soup Bowls – I have 2 recommendations: These Jumbo Soup Mugs with Handle (Amazon) are great for when you want to cozy up on the couch while eating your soup. The handle doesn’t get hot so you can hold it with one hand. I also love this Porcelain Fluted Bowl Set (Amazon). I have a set for my family and bought a set for my nephew who’s living off-campus at Clemson University. They’re a nice big size and come in bright, cheery colors.
- Soup Spoons – This soup is too good to use regular ole spoons. You need some good soup spoons. This Set of 8 Stainless Steel Soup Spoons (Amazon) are worthy of this recipe.
Maryland’s Grand Prize Cream of Crab Soup Printable Recipe:
Maryland's Grand Prize Cream of Crab Soup Recipe
- - 1 pound Maryland jumbo lump crab meat Tip: Use crab claw meat to make it chunkier
- - 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- - 3 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- - 1/4 cup butter
- - 2 pints heavy whipping cream
- - 1 quart half & half
- - 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- - 1 cup cold water
- - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- - 2 cups milk
- Bring milk, half & half, and heavy whipping cream to a boil.
- Add crab meat, fresh parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, butter, salt and pepper.
- When it starts to boil, make a paste with the cornstarch and cold water.
- Add the paste to the soup and bring back to a boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Soup is ready to serve.
How to Make Your Soup Chunkier
My pictures do not do this soup justice.
Indeed, this really is an amazing cream of crab soup recipe!
In particular, the picture on Pinterest where I found the recipe makes it look way more full of crab meat.
Therefore, next time I will use crab claw meat to make it chunkier.
Toppings To Add To Your Soup
Additionally, if you’re one who likes onions, add some chopped spring onions to the soup just before eating it.
Also, if you’re looking for good soup bowls, my go-to soup bowls are the thick mug style bowls with handles.
Oftentimes, I like to sit on the couch with my feet up and a nice fluffy blanket on top of me while eating my soup.
So, these mugs are perfect for holding them by the handle with one hand and eating your soup with the other hand.
Grand Prize Maryland Cream of Crab Soup Reviews
Similarly, like me, my husband grew up eating crabs all of his life too.
With this in mind, he was the true test as to whether or not I will be making this recipe again.
If soup all over his goatee is any indicator, that would be a resounding yes!
Next time we’ll both be wearing our I Put Old Bay On My Old Bay t-shirts whenever I make this soup or we dive into a bushel of Maryland crabs!
For more crab recipes, check out our posts on:
- How to Stay Positive, Informed & Not Go Crazy During the Coronavirus - March 23, 2020
- Free Things To Do in Frederick Md This Weekend - March 12, 2020
- Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Parmesan Cheese & Balsamic Vinegar - March 3, 2020