Cream of crab soup fits right into the category of the saying, “Maryland is for Crabs”.
Ms. Charlese Smith was the Grand Prize Winner in the Soup Division for this recipe at the 53rd Annual National Hard Crab Derby in Crisfield, Maryland.
So she is the person who gets credit for this wonderful recipe!
Thank you Charlese!
Cream of Crab Soup
Being born and raised in Maryland, I grew up eating crabs all of my life.
I remember the days of my Dad getting a bushel of crabs and the family gathered around the table hammering and picking all night long.
As a result, it’s a ritual that I fondly remember, but also one that we don’t do nearly as often as we used to.
Because I love any recipe involving crabs, when I saw this recipe for Grand Prize Maryland Cream of Crab Soup, I jumped on it.
Not gonna lie though, when I went to the store to get the crab meat already picked and ready to use, I felt a little bit guilty.
The reason? I didn’t have to spend hours picking the crabs.
However, not having to work for that crab meat definitely has an appeal to it!
And, heck, go ahead and wear yourself this cute crab picking t-shirt (Amazon) even though you’re not actually picking the crab meat out of the crabs for this recipe!
I promise you, it’ll get you more in the mood.
History Behind Grand Prize Maryland Cream of Crab Soup
So, I found this recipe on Pinterest and clicked on the link to a site called Just A Pinch.
Being that this recipe is a Maryland recipe and that it won the Grand Prize in an annual National Hard Crab Derby, held in Crisfield, Md, known as the ‘Seafood Capital of the World’, I had to make it!
We Marylanders have a lot of pride in our state.
For instance, we are super proud of our Maryland State Flag.
So much so, that we wear it on our clothes as much as we can!
But, I digress.
Back to the recipe.
Items You’ll Need To Make This Cream of Crab Soup
- A Good Stockpot – This Cuisinart 6 quart Stockpot with Lid (Amazon) is the perfect choice for making cream of crab soup.
- Soup Mixing Spoon – I really like the OXO Brushed Stainless Spoon (Amazon). It’s a good quality mixing spoon.
- Soup Bowls – I have 2 recommendations: My go-to soup bowls are the thick mug style bowls with handles (Amazon). They’re great for when you want to cozy up on the couch while eating your soup. The handle doesn’t get hot so you can hold it with one hand. I also love this Porcelain Fluted Bowl Set (Amazon). I have a set for my family and bought a set for my nephew who’s living off-campus at Clemson University. They’re a nice big size and come in bright, cheery colors.
- Soup Spoons – This soup is too good to use regular ole spoons. You need some good soup spoons. This Set of 8 Stainless Steel Soup Spoons (Amazon) are worthy of this recipe.
Maryland’s Grand Prize Cream of Crab Soup Printable Recipe:
Maryland's Grand Prize Cream of Crab Soup Recipe
- 1 to 2 lbs Maryland jumbo lump crab meat Tip: Use crab claw meat to make it chunkier
- 1 tbsp Fresh parsley
- 3 tsp Old Bay Seasoning Use more based on your taste preferences
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 pints Heavy whipping cream
- 1 quart Half & half
- 4 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Cold water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Milk
- Bring milk, half & half, and heavy whipping cream to a boil.
- When it starts to boil, make a paste (or slurry) in a separate bowl with the cornstarch and cold water. Be sure to whisk well until the paste is fully blended.
- Add the paste to the soup and bring back to a boil for 1 minute, mixing constantly.
- If the soup seems too thin, make more paste with 1 T. corn starch & 1 T. cold water. Mix into the soup and heat through again, mixing constantly.
- Keep adding the 1 tablespoon cornstarch/1 tablespoon cold water paste until your soup gets to the proper thickness.
- Once your soup is at the preferred thickness, you can then add your crab meat.
- You'll add the crab meat after the cornstarch paste because you don't want to break up the delicate chunks of crab while whisking the cornstarch.
- Add fresh parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, butter, salt and pepper and heat through.
- Add extra crab meat & Old Bay Seasoning based on your preferences.
- Remove from heat.
- Soup is ready to serve.
How to Make Your Soup Chunkier & Thicker
My pictures do not do this soup justice.
Indeed, this really is an amazing cream of crab soup recipe!
In particular, the picture on Pinterest where I found the recipe makes it look way more full of crab meat.
Therefore, next time I will use crab claw meat to make it chunkier.
Also, to make your ‘slurry’, which is the cornstarch and water combination that thickens the soup, you want to make sure your water is cold.
The general rule of thumb is 1 tablespoon of cold water mixed with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch per cup of soup.
This recipe makes approximately 6 cups of soup, so create your slurry first based on this amount.
My suggestion based on one of our reader’s comments below (Thank you Steve!) is to create your slurry first using a mini whisk like this stainless steel one from Amazon.
Add the slurry to the soup before adding the crab meat so as not to break up the delicate lumps of crab.
Toppings To Add To Your Soup
Additionally, if you’re one who likes onions, add some chopped spring onions to the soup just before eating it.
Grand Prize Maryland Cream of Crab Soup Reviews
Similarly, like me, my husband grew up eating crabs all of his life too.
With this in mind, he was the true test as to whether or not I will be making this recipe again.
If soup all over his goatee is any indicator, that would be a resounding yes!
Next time we’ll both be wearing our I Put Old Bay On My Old Bay t-shirts whenever I make this soup or we dive into a bushel of Maryland crabs!
For more crab recipes, check out our posts on:
- Outdoor Activities in Frederick Md: Enjoy What Our Town Has To Offer! - July 22, 2020
- Best Fishing Spots in Frederick Md - July 18, 2020
- Cauliflower Fritters with Almond Flour: Low Carb & Delicious! - July 14, 2020