I’m always on the hunt for good, easy-to-make, stick-to-your-ribs, comfort-food type recipes, especially during the cold winter months.
Most of the time I find something in one of my magazines, rip out the recipe and head to the store to get the ingredients.
This time, all I had to do was look in my recipe box.
My mom used to make this chicken enchilada recipe all the time back in the 90s.
Somehow it got lost in my recipe box and I had forgotten about it.
It was always a hit back then whenever she made it.
So I started making it too and it was a hit with my friends and family.
Chicken Enchilada Recipe
It’s so easy to make and so delicious.
It only takes 3 cooked chicken breasts (I boil them) cut up into bite-size pieces, 3/4 large sweet onion, chopped, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, 1 small can of green chiles, 8 large flour tortillas, and 4 cups of shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar).
Mix up all of the ingredients (except the tortillas and cheese) in a big bowl.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
Layer four tortillas in the bottom of a 9×12 casserole dish like this one:
Add half the mixture on top of the tortillas.
Add 2 cups of cheese, 3 more tortillas, the 2nd half of the mixture, the other 2 cups of cheese, and then cut the last tortilla into 1/2 inch strips to form a lattice design.
Cook at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until the tortilla shells are browned.
Don’t cook longer than that because the tortillas shells on the bottom of the casserole will get tough. You want them nice and crispy.
And voila! You’ve got yourself a wonderful dinner for your family!
I served mine with a nice chopped salad with croutons.
Warning: This stuff is addictive.
I’d be willing to bet you can’t just eat one piece at a time.
Here is the printable version of my Chicken Enchilada Recipe:
Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- - 3 chicken breasts cooked & chopped into bite-size pieces
- - 3/4 large sweet onion chopped
- - 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- - 1 small can green chiles
- - 8 large flour tortillas
- - 4 cups shredded cheese I used sharp cheddar
- In a 9x12 pan, place 4 tortilla shells on bottom and up the sides of the pan (it helps to spray the pan with cooking spray).
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, onion, soup, and chiles well.
- Spread half the mixture on top of the 4 tortilla shells.
- Add another layer of 3 tortilla shells.
- Spread remaining chicken mixture on top.
- Add remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Cut the last tortilla into 1/2" strips and place in lattice design on top of cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until browned.
There are so many variations you can use with this recipe.
You can lighten it up by using low fat or fat free cheese and fat free cream of chicken soup.
You can also add other ingredients.
If you really like spicy, use some jalapenos.
The original recipe called for broccoli. Personally I don’t like broccoli in a mexican style recipe, but you might!
So try this recipe out for yourself and let me know in the comments how YOU like to make it!
Latest posts by Pam (see all)
- 7 Reasons You Need To Eat at the New Hometown Harvest Kitchen - August 17, 2019
- Beaches In & Around Frederick, Md: Take a Fun Day Trip! - August 5, 2019
- Sunflowers at Valley View Acres: Scenic Views in Middletown, Md - July 18, 2019