This amazingly easy Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Casserole is a dish that my Mom used to make on occasion, usually when we had friends over.
In short, it’s a layered green chile chicken enchilada casserole with cream of chicken soup and tortillas.
It’s just like eating a Mexican enchilada, except instead of it being rolled up in an individual serving, it’s in casserole form.
Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
I’m always on the hunt for good, easy-to-make, satisfying, comfort-food type recipes, especially during the cold winter months.
Most of the time I find something in one of my magazines, rip out the recipe and head to the store to get the ingredients.
This time, all I had to do was look in my recipe box.
My mom’s recipe for Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Casserole was stuffed in the back of the box.
Somehow I had totally forgotten about it after all these years.
A Twist to the Traditional Recipe
I’ve never seen it made this way, using the tortillas as the ‘crust’ of the casserole and also cutting them up to form a lattice design on the top.
Preparing the casserole this way makes the tortillas crispy, making it absolutely delicious.
It was always a hit back then whenever my Mom made it.
So I started making it too and it is a hit with my friends and family.
Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Casserole Ingredients
Although this may look like something that’s pretty complicated to make, it really isn’t!
The easy-to-find ingredients for this recipe are:
- Chicken Breasts – I boil 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breast until cooked through and then cut them up into bite-size pieces
- Sweet Onion – Chop up about 3/4 of a large sweet onion
- Cream of Chicken Soup – This recipe takes 2 cans of cream of chicken soup right out of the can. No added water needed.
- Can of Green Chiles – You only need a small can of green chiles. You can find this in the international aisle at the grocery store.
- Tortillas – Use any type of large tortilla you like. This recipe requires 8 large tortillas. I used flour but you can use corn tortillas and even the low carb, keto tortillas.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – This recipe is cheesy! You’ll need 4 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
How To Make Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
Step 1: Mix First 4 Ingredients
In a large bowl, mix together your cooked, cut up chicken, chopped onion, cream of chicken soup, and green chiles.
Step 2: Layer 4 Tortillas In Bottom of Casserole Dish
Spray the bottom and sides of a 3 quart or 13 inch baking dish (Amazon) with cooking spray.
Then, layer 4 tortillas across the bottom and up the sides of the dish.
Step 3: Add 1/2 Chicken Mixture Over Tortillas
Add half of the chicken mixture over top of the tortillas.
Step 4: Add 1/2 Cheese, 3 Tortillas and Remaining Chicken Mixture
Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded cheese across the top of the layer of the chicken mixture.
Then place 3 tortillas over top of the shredded cheese.
After that, spread the remaining chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.
Step 5: Cut Last Tortilla Into Strips To Form Lattice Design
This last step is the fun part!
Get your kitchen shears (Amazon) out and cut your last tortilla into 1/2 inch strips.
Then place them on top of the casserole to form a lattice design.
Finally, place your Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Casserole in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the tortilla shells are lightly browned.
And voila! You’ve got yourself a wonderful dinner for your family!
Tips, Tricks, & Substitutions
- You can lighten it up by using low fat or fat free cheese and fat free cream of chicken soup.
- Don’t cook longer than the 35 minutes (or until lightly browned) because the tortilla shells on the bottom of the casserole will get tough. You want them nice and crispy!
- Serve with a nice side of chopped salad.
- You can substitute monterey jack cheese for cheddar cheese.
- If you really like onions, you can add more onions in the casserole.
- Green chiles are typically not very spicy, so if you prefer more spice, add in some jalapenos.
- Other optional ingredients:
- Refried beans
- Some recipes include broccoli. Personally I don’t like broccoli in a Mexican style recipe, but you might!
- Suggested toppings:
- Sour cream
- Green enchilada sauce
- Sliced green spring onions
Warning: This stuff is addictive.
As a matter of fact, I’d be willing to bet you can’t just eat one piece at a time.
Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- 3 Chicken Breasts, cooked & chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 Large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cans Cream of chicken soup
- 1 can Small can green chiles
- 8 Large Tortillas
- 4 cups Shredded Cheese, I used sharp cheddar
- In a 9x12 pan, place 4 tortilla shells on bottom and up the sides of the pan (it helps to spray the pan with cooking spray).
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, onion, soup, and chiles well.
- Spread half the mixture on top of the 4 tortilla shells.
- Add another layer of 3 tortilla shells.
- Spread remaining chicken mixture on top.
- Add remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Cut the last tortilla into 1/2" strips and place in lattice design on top of cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until browned.
So try this recipe out for yourself and let me know in the comments how YOU like to make it!