Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew
There’s nothing like coming home after a long, busy day to the comforting aroma of this Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew. What’s great about it is that it’s so easy to prepare and throw into your slow cooker so you can be on your merry way to tackle the day ahead of you.
And you’ll come home later, making a bee line to your slow cooker, hoping and praying that it turned out, only to find out that, yes, it transformed into a big pot of home cooked comfort-food goodness! I found this particular recipe on allrecipes.com.
Here’s the recipe for Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew:
- - 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- - 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- - 1 clove garlic, minced
- - 1 bay leaf (optional)
- - 1 teaspoon paprika
- - 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- - 1 onion, chopped
- - 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- - 3 potatoes, diced
- - 4 carrots, sliced thin
- - 1 stalk celery, chopped
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture.
- Stir in the garlic, bay leaf (optional), paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high setting for 4 to 6 hours.
Make sure the carrots and potatoes are cut into small pieces to ensure that they cook through.
Serve this along with some steaming hot french bread and you’ve got yourself a well balanced meal.
As is noted on the recipe, make sure that you slice your carrots very thin and dice your potatoes small. This will ensure that they are cooked through. You would think that after cooking for 4 to 6 hours, the carrots and potatoes would be cooked through plenty. But, for some reason slow cookers are different.
I used white potatoes and I omitted the bay leaf. White potatoes tend to cook better than baking potatoes in a slow cooker.
With colder days approaching, this Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew will hit the spot for you and your family.