This recipe for Simple Chicken & Dumplings – 9 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value just happens to be my husband’s and son’s favorite dish!
Whenever I tell them I’m making it for dinner they both say ‘Oooooh, yes!’
Simple Chicken & Dumplings
I don’t know why, but for some reason I just don’t make this dish often enough.
I guess I’ve always thought that it was too time consuming and complicated, especially when making the dumplings.
However, that is so far from the truth!
All it takes is some pre-cooking of the chicken, chopping it up into bite size pieces, and then adding the other ingredients.
The dumplings are the very last step of the process and they’re super easy to whip together!
The Perfect Comfort Food: Simple chicken & dumplings – 9 weight watchers points plus value
This particular recipe is very simple to make and is the epitome of comfort food.
This article, What is ‘Comfort Food’ – and Why Do We Crave It? explains how “comfort foods tend to be associated with our childhood or with home cooking, and they’re frequently prepared in a simple or traditional style.”
Bingo! That’s exactly why chicken & dumplings is a comfort food for me and my husband.
Both of our mothers used to make it when we were kids.
We fondly remember it as a meal that brought our families together to the dinner table for a good, hot, stick-to-your-ribs meal.
Ingredients that you most likely already have at home
Not only was I making chicken & dumplings because I hadn’t made it in a while and my family loves it, but also we had some thawed out chicken breasts in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
Therefore, If I didn’t do anything with them on this particular day, I would have had to throw them out.
So, I thought, hmmm, I could make some sort of soup, or stew……oh yeah! Chicken & Dumplings!
In addition, I just happened to have all of the ingredients on hand.
I made it and my husband magically fell in love with me all over again.
That old saying that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach really does ring true!
A Great Go-To Recipe:
I decided to make this recipe again about a week later.
I thought it would be a great dish to bring to a very sick friend whose family is in my prayers and in need of some help with meals.
It was very much appreciated by my friend and made me feel really good that I could help them out in this way.
Simple Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
Simple Chicken & Dumplings – 9 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value
- - 1 32 ounce container chicken broth
- - 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cubed, or more as needed
- - 1 onion chopped
- - 1/2 16 ounce package baby carrots
- - 2 stalks celery chopped
- - 1 bay leaf I omitted this, but if you like bay leaves, go for it
- - Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- - 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- - 3 t. baking powder
- - 1 1/2 t. white sugar
- - 3/4 t. salt
- - 1 1/2 T. butter
- - 3/4 cup milk
- Combine chicken broth, chicken breast cubes, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaf (optional), salt, and pepper in a large pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium size bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk to make a soft dough.
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls into simmering stew. Cover and simmer 15 minutes without lifting lid.
Get a Good Quality Stockpot
You’ll need a good quality stockpot to make this recipe.
In addition, stockpots are great to have on hand whenever you want to boil corn on the cob, steam crabs, or make a nice big pot of soup or stew.
So, if you’re looking for a good quality stockpot, Cuisinart makes a really nice one.
Based on 576 reviews as of this update, this pot has 4 1/2 stars: Cuisinart 766-26 Chef’s Classic 12-Quart Stockpot with Cover
Delicious Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
This recipe is absolutely delicious!
You seriously have to try it yourself to really know how good it is.
It’s so simple, it’s almost ridiculous, but it creates heaven in a bowl.
I couldn’t wait to eat the leftovers the next day for lunch.
Only 9 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value
Another great thing that I realized after calculating the Weight Watchers Points Plus Value, is that each serving totals up to only 9 points.
That is pretty darn good for a nice size bowl of chicken & dumplings.
I just figured that it would be too fattening.
But the only fattening part of this dish is the dumplings, which is probably the bulk of the 9 points per serving.
Inexpensive to Make
Lastly, an added bonus to making this dish is that it’s relatively inexpensive.
I know, nothing is cheap these days and grocery store prices are skyrocketing.
But in the big scheme of things, this meal is so much cheaper to make than other meals you could make.
AND, if it makes your husband so happy that he gazes at you adoringly after he eats it, then all the better!
If you’re looking for more delicious, easy to make comfort food recipes, check out our posts on:
- Takeout Cocktails and Delivery Cocktails in Frederick Md - May 29, 2020
- Best Farm at Monocacy National Battlefield, National Park Service - May 27, 2020
- Baked Oysters On The Half Shell Recipe: Hoopers Island, Maryland - May 25, 2020