Note: This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Thank you!
If you haven’t tried this Cowboy Caviar Recipe, you have been totally missing out.
A few years ago our family took a trip down to Hilton Head Island for some fun and sun and to also visit our brother, who happens to be one of the best realtors down there.
Check out his website here: Hilton Head Expert.
Anyway, we had a bunch of family visiting us at our beach house throughout our week down there.
So, one day while we were grilling and hanging out by the pool, my brother-in-law’s sister made an appetizer for all of us.
It was called Cowboy Caviar.
I had never heard of it, so I had to grab a chip and take a scoop.
Well, the rest is history.
This Cowboy Caviar Recipe is totally addictive AND healthy!
Of course the chips aren’t the most healthy, but you can choose light and low fat chips or just eat it without the chips.
Cowboy Caviar Recipe
Every time I’ve made this recipe since trying it for the first time in Hilton Head, it has gotten devoured and I have been praised many times over for making it.
It’s definitely one of those ‘keeper’ recipes that you will use over and over for parties and gatherings.
Where This Cowboy Caviar Recipe Came From
I don’t know where my brother-in-law’s sister found this Cowboy Caviar Recipe, but when I tried to find it online, I found many different variations of it.
Most of the variations did not include avocado, and I LOVE avocado.
So I was on a mission to find the exact recipe that I enjoyed in Hilton Head.
I finally found it on a website called The Girl Who Ate Everything.
Christy’s blog has hundreds of thousands of followers on Facebook.
Thank you Christy for your awesomeness!
So without further ado, here is the recipe:
Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- - 1 can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- - 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- - 1 can shoepeg corn drained and rinsed
- - 4 to 5 Roma tomatoes seeds removed and diced
- - 2 to 3 diced avocados ripe but still firm
- - 4 green onions sliced thin
- - Approximately 1/2 to 3/4 cup Zesty Italian dressing
- - 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped finely
- - 1 to 2 limes
- - Ground pepper and salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the black eyed peas, black beans, and corn. This is very important because if you don't, the dip will look brown and be too liquidy.
- Add to a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes & cilantro.
- After dicing the avocado and adding to the bowl, squeeze the lemon juice over the avocado. This will keep the avocado from turning brown too quickly.
- Add the italian dressing and salt & pepper and stir to coat all of the ingredients.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- This is best served the same day as prepared.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Do yourself a favor and go ahead and just buy the below lemon/lime squeezer & avocado slicer from Amazon because you’ll be asked to make this recipe many times and they’ll both come in very handy!
Two Important Reminders
Be sure to thoroughly drain and rinse the black beans, black-eyed peas, and corn before adding it to the bowl.
Also, wait until just before serving to cut up the avocado and add the lime juice.
Avocado browns very quickly and doesn’t look as appealing after it’s been sitting out for a while.
Be Prepared for Compliments
I dare you to make this recipe and not get at least 2 or 3 compliments and requests for the recipe.
So, the next time you are invited to a gathering and aren’t sure of what you should bring, try out this Cowboy Caviar recipe.
I promise you, you will not be disappointed. And neither will your friends.