These homemade gluten free granola bars are super easy to make and full of flavor.
Not only are these bars are gluten free, but also they’re good for you, with only 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints!
These days, it seems to be more and more difficult to find the time to prepare healthy snacks.
For example, usually, on my way out the door, I’ll grab a banana and a snack bar.
However, eating the same store-bought granola bar every morning gets boring.
As a matter of fact, I truly prefer eating something homemade over processed foods.
Gluten Free Granola Bars with Popcorn
So, when I found this granola bar recipe in my All You Magazine, it looked SO delicious.
Clearly, I had to make them!
And I’m so glad I did because making them homemade results in delicious, chewy granola bars.
In this case, you can swap and substitute ingredients based on your preferences.
However, the below ingredients are what I use in order to keep them gluten free and 5 WW SP per bar:
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Sliced Almonds
- Rolled Oats
- Chocolate Chips
- Light Brown Sugar
How to Make Gluten Free Granola Bars
Step 1: Toast Coconut & Almonds in the Oven
First, toast your shredded coconut and sliced almonds by spreading them separately into two rimmed baking pans.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 to 10 minutes until they are lightly toasted.
Also, be sure to flip the coconut and almonds after 5 minutes so they are evenly toasted.
Step 2: Combine Popcorn, Oats, Coconut, Almonds, & Chocolate Chips
In a large bowl, combine cooled coconut & almonds with popcorn, oats, & chocolate chips.
Then, mix it thoroughly.
Step 3: Heat Honey, Brown Sugar, & Salt
Add honey, brown sugar & salt to a saucepan and heat over low heat.
Stir constantly for approximately 5 minutes until the brown sugar has dissolved.
Then, add the honey mixture to the popcorn mixture & mix thoroughly.
Step 4: Transfer Mixture to Baking Dish, Press, & Refrigerate
Transfer your gluten free granola bar mixture into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
Using lightly moistened palms, press the mixture down firmly.
After that, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars.
Tips & Tricks
- Make your own substitutions based on your preferences. For example, instead of adding raisins and dried apricots (from the original recipe), I used peanut butter & milk chocolate morsels. Overall, you can really experiment with this recipe.
- Don’t skip the step of toasting the coconut and almonds. It really adds a nice flavor to the granola bars.
- Using the honey & brown sugar syrup (make sure it’s still warm) is key to ‘gluing’ the rest of the ingredients together into a bar form.
- This Tescoma mold for energy bars, granola bar press (Amazon) is very compact and doesn’t require cutting up the bars. It also saves a ton of room in the refrigerator.
- Obviously, if you cut less bars (making each bar larger), remember to add more WW SmartPoints to each bar.
Cut these puppies into bars and put them into ziplock baggies and you’ve got yourself some great guilt-free, on-the-go snack bars!
If you’re looking for other Weight Watchers recipes that are easy to make and fit in with your food plan, check out Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook 2021 (Amazon).
Homemade Gluten Free Granola Bars Recipe
Homemade Gluten Free Granola Bars
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup Almonds, chopped (I used slivered)
- 8 cups Plain popped popcorn, I used Healthy Pop microwave popcorn
- 2 cups Rolled oats, do not use instant
- 1 cup Chocolate chips, I used Nestle Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate Morsels
- 3/4 cup Honey
- 3/4 cup Packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread coconut on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, stirring once or twice, about 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Wipe off baking sheet and spread almonds on it. Bake until golden brown and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring once or twice. Transfer to bowl with coconut to cool.
- Mist a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine popped popcorn, oats, coconut, almonds, & chocolate chips; stir well.
- In a small pan over low heat, combine honey, brown sugar & salt. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, approximately 5 minutes. Pour honey mixture over popcorn mixture; stir until all ingredients are well coated. Transfer mixture to baking dish. Using lightly moistened palms, firmly press mixture into baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars.
Fat 3 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 26 g
Fiber 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 26 mg
Lastly, for more tried and true Weight Watchers recipes on our blog, check out: