This 5 ingredient mashed sweet potatoes recipe is super easy to make and so good for you!
And with a little bit of butter and toasted chopped pecans, it’s got just enough flavor and texture to enjoy the taste of the sweet potatoes without overpowering them.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
The sweet potato.
It’s not the most attractive vegetable in the world.
But then, what root vegetables are attractive, really?
Did you know that the sweet potato is only distantly related to the potato?
We’ll call it the potato’s sweet cousin.
Sweet Potatoes are super healthy
Being a great source of beta-carotene, sweet potatoes have a powerful antioxidant that helps ward off cancer and protects against the effects of aging.
Sweet potatoes are also high in vitamins B6, C, and D.
AND they’re a good source of fiber, potassium, and magnesium.
So, despite their look, you can’t go wrong with sweet potatoes.
This Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe is super easy to make
I decided to look for a healthy sweet potato recipe that can be used as a side dish for the holidays.
Why only eat this over the holidays?
Why not enjoy it year-round?
I found a recipe for Butter Pecan Mashed Sweet Potatoes in my trusty Cooking Light 2015 Recipe Calendar.
What I absolutely love about this recipe, is not only does it only have 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus Value per serving, but it’s ridiculously easy to make AND it’s delicious!
Butter Pecan Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Butter Pecan Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe – 5 Weight Watchers PPV
- - 4 sweet potatoes, about 2 pounds
- - 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- - 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- - 1/4 teaspoon salt
- - 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Pierce each potato with a fork 3 to 4 times on each side. Wrap each potato in a damp paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes, turning after 4 minutes. (NOTE: My sweet potatoes took much longer to cook in the microwave. Closer to 20 minutes. Check with a fork every 10 minutes until sweet potatoes are cooked through) Cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half; scoop pulp into a bowl. Mash pulp.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Stir butter, milk, and salt into potato pulp. Top with pecans.
As I noted in the recipe, the sweet potatoes took a lot longer than 8 minutes in my microwave for them to cook through.
So just check every 4 to 8 minutes with a fork until they feel fully cooked.
I loved cooking them in the microwave and scooping out the flesh of the sweet potatoes instead of having to peel them, cut them, and boil them.
It took much less prep time.
I also used a hand masher instead of an electric mixer.
It was very easy to mash the sweet potatoes and made a lot less dirty dishes.
Add some milk, melted butter, salt, chopped pecans and some salt & pepper and it’s done!
To toast the pecans, just arrange them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for around 7 to 10 minutes.
They’re so good and add so much flavor to the sweet potatoes!
Just the right amount of buttery sweetness and crunchy pecans in every bite.
A Little bit goes a long way!
Because sweet potatoes are so high in fiber, a little bit goes a long way.
My husband isn’t a big sweet potato fan, but he really liked this recipe.
For more delicious side dish recipes, click on over to:
The Best Stuffing Recipe for Thanksgiving
Roasted Baby Potatoes with Oregano & Lemon – 3 Weight Watchers Points
Weight Watchers Mashed Cauliflower: Deliciously Healthy
- Events in Frederick Md This Weekend | March 30-April 2 - March 23, 2023
- Cajun Shrimp Gumbo Recipe with Andouille Sausage - March 8, 2023
- Egg Roll Casserole Recipe - February 24, 2023
10 thoughts on “Butter Pecan Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe – 5 Weight Watchers Points”
Love the recipe, but I added some brown sugar to mine. It was the bomb. I ate the whole thing.
Everything is better with brown sugar! So glad you liked the recipe 🙂
I looks so darn good!! Maybe you should make that for Thanksgiving?
I cook baked potatoes in the microwave for 20 minutes, turning a few times.
That might work. I guess that could travel well and then I could reheat it.