This Crab Cakes Recipe will have you wondering why you’ve never made your own crab cakes before!
And the best part is, they’re Weight Watchers friendly at 7 SmartPoints per serving, which is 2 crab cakes!
Crab Cakes Recipe
If you’re like me, making your very own crab cakes recipe has always been on your bucket list.
But you were too afraid you’d mess it up.
You see, I grew up in Maryland, where as most people know ‘Maryland is for Crabs’.
There’s nothing better than sitting at a table with family and friends, staring at a huge pile of large, steaming crabs in front of you, ready to pick for hours.
My family LOVES anything involving seafood!.
My hubby’s family is from Cape Cod and my son, who is very particular with what he will and will not eat, will put away any type of fish or shellfish.
Weight Watchers Crab Cakes Recipe
So I thought it was high time that I try out a crab cakes recipe.
I have a little day to day calendar from Cooking Light on my desk with recipes.
April 26th presented me with a beautiful photo featuring a mouth-watering Weight Watchers Crab Cakes recipe.
6 months later, and I finally got the guts to make it.
First, the nutritional information shows that it is only 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints for 2 crab cakes.
That’s when I knew I just had to get over my fear of making them.
Tweaks To The Original Crab Cakes Recipe
Because I’m not into anything too spicy, I made some small tweaks to the recipe to fit my family’s tastes.
In addition, I didn’t have shallots for the remoulade sauce, so I used chopped spring onions instead.
Prepare to Devote Some Time
This recipe was more labor intensive than I originally expected.
You really need to stand by the stove during the entire cooking time to ensure that you have the right amount of heat on the crab cakes.
If it gets too high, they can easily burn.
Too low and they’re not cooked through enough.
Not enough oil and you’ll smoke up the house and cause the smoke detector to go off. (Been there, done that!)
Weight Watchers Remoulade Sauce
But let me tell you, this was well worth the effort.
I honestly can say that these are the best crab cakes I’ve ever eaten.
And the Weight Watchers remoulade sauce recipe was like the proverbial ‘icing on the cake’.
If you don’t know what remoulade sauce is (and I didn’t), it is a mayonnaise based condiment similar to tartar sauce.
Weight Watchers Crab Cakes Recipe with Remoulade Sauce
Crab Cakes Recipe with Remoulade Sauce: 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- Crab Cakes:
- - 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat shell pieces removed
- - 2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
- - 1 1/2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- - 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- - 2 green onions finely chopped
- - 1 large egg lightly beaten
- - 1 cup panko divided
- - 2 tablespoons canola oil divided
- Remoulade Sauce:
- - 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- - 2 teaspoons mined shallots
- - 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- - 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- - 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- - 3/4 teaspoon capers chopped
- - 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper optional
- To prepare crab cakes, drain crabmeat on several layers of paper towels. Combine crabmeat, bell pepper, and the next 4 ingredients (through egg), tossing gently. Stir in 1/4 cup panko. Place remaining 3/4 cup panko in a shallow dish.
- Divide crab mixture into 8 equal portions. Shape 4 portions into 3/4 inch-thick patties; dredge in panko. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add dredged patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with the remaining crab mixture, panko, and oil.
- To prepare remoulade, combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise and remaining ingredients; serve with crab cakes.
- Calories 320
- Fat 17g
- Satfat 1.2g
- Monofat 8.7g
- Polyfat 5g
- Protein 26.8g
- Carbohydrate 11.7g
- Fiber 0.9g
- Cholesterol 166mg
- Iron 1.5mg
- Sodium 555mg
- Calcium 133mg
I’m so glad I tried out this recipe.
It helped me get over my fear of trying something out of my comfort zone.
AND after my husband ate 4 crab cakes in one sitting, it encouraged me to make them again.
For more crab recipes, click on over to:
Latest posts by Pam (see all)
- Lamb Chops Recipe with Mint & Shallot Sauce – 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints - February 8, 2020
- Kids Sports Organizations in Frederick County Maryland - January 27, 2020
- 11 Ski Resorts Near Frederick, Md For A Fun Winter Day Trip - January 23, 2020