During this time of social distancing, it’s absolutely necessary to participate in some fun outdoor activities in Frederick Md!
Not only is it good for your soul, but also it will keep you from going stir crazy at home.
So, based on my own need to breathe in some fresh air and stimulate my senses, I decided to put together a roundup of outdoor activities in Frederick Md.
Needless to say, Frederick has endless options!
Outdoor Activities in Frederick Md
Over the years, we have written blog posts on specific places to enjoy here in our hometown.
Therefore, instead of reinventing the wheel, I’m going to share with you our list, along with links to these posts.
It should be noted that this isn’t an exhaustive list of outdoor activities in Frederick Md.
However, the places we have documented with photos and our personal experiences will give you a great starting point for your outdoor activity planner!
1. Go To The Visitor Center For Info On Outdoor Activities in Frederick md
First, you need to do is go to the Visitor Center in Downtown Frederick.
Indeed, they have everything you need to get started with exploring our ‘Hip & Historic’ town!
In fact, with interpretive exhibits, informational brochures, friendly, helpful staff, and a really cool, easy to get to, downtown location, you’ll be glad you stopped in!
Due to current circumstances, the theater at the Visitor Center is currently closed.
However, everything else is open as long as you are wearing a mask.
In addition, if you’re looking for a complete list of outdoor activities in Frederick Md, Visit Frederick is the place to look!
2. Take A Drive through the different Frederick County towns
Needless to say, we have several towns that call Frederick County home:
- Braddock Heights
- Mt. Airy
- New Market
Absolutely, each town has it’s own flavor and feel.
Therefore, why not take a drive through these towns to get out of the house and discover something new!
For example, here are a few towns that we’ve highlighted over the years:
- Urbana – An Eclectic Frederick County Town!
- Buckeystown, Md: Something For Everyone!
- Exploring Burkittsville Md
- Everedy Square & Shab Row in Downtown Frederick
- Mountaindale – A Log Cabin Community in Frederick
As well as that, here’s a post I wrote about taking A Beautiful Scenic Drive with My Momma.
We drove through several towns and had a wonderful time together that I will forever cherish!
3. Covered Bridges of Frederick County
Clearly, this scenic drive needs to have its own category!
It should be noted that out of the 6 remaining covered bridges in the entire state of Maryland, Frederick County has 3 of them!
In our post, Covered Bridges in Frederick Md: Your Next Scenic Tour, we tell you all about the history of each bridge, along with photos and directions for getting there.
First and foremost, be sure to bring your camera because you’ll want to take plenty of photos!
4. Camping is the perfect outdoor activity
What better way to enjoy the great outdoors than to go camping!
In this case, there’s nothing better than sitting by a campfire, roasting marshmallows and gazing at the stars in the sky!
Particularly, we’ve camped at Brunswick Family Campground and our entire family had a great experience!
Definitely read all about it here: Our Maiden Voyage at Brunswick Family Campground.
Where else in Frederick County have you camped?
Let us know in the comments.
5. National, State, & Public Parks Are Ideal Outdoor Activities in Frederick Md
Unquestionably, Frederick County has beautiful parks everywhere you go!
In fact, we’ve highlighted quite a few of them in these posts:
- Doubs Meadow Park in Myersville Md: Walking Trails & Playgrounds
- Visiting Gathland State Park & National War Correspondents Memorial Arch
- Best Farm at Monocacy National Battlefield, National Park Service
- Cunningham Falls State Park: Get Back In Touch With Nature
- Off-Leash Dog Park in Frederick Md: Ballenger Creek Park
6. Visit An Open To The Public Farm
Lucky for us, with no shortage of farms in our county, several are open to the public such as:
- South Mountain Creamery – Cows, Ice Cream, & More!
- Sunflowers at Valley View Acres: Scenic Views in Middletown, Md
- Summers Farm – The Most Important Reasons You Should Visit
- Jumbo’s Pumpkin Patch: Your Inexpensive Family Fun is Here!
7. Farmers Markets Are Great Outdoor Activities in Frederick Md
Additionally, while we’re on the subject of farms, why not reap what they sow by visiting a farmer’s market?
Undoubtedly, Farmer’s markets have totally evolved from offering produce-only to also including food trucks, crafts, fresh cut flowers, cheeses, and so much more!
Check out our post on Farmer’s Markets in Frederick, Md.
8. Go to the Zoo
Yes, we have a zoo right here in Frederick County!
Needless to say, it’s so much fun and the ultimate way to get outside!
Read up on our experience here: Catoctin Zoo: How To Have An Awesome Day Trip
9. Go to the Beach
Yes, you read that right!
We do have beaches in and near Frederick Md!
As a matter of fact, there are several beaches at state parks!
Therefore, read up on all of the Beaches In & Around Frederick, Md: Take A Fun Day Trip!
10. Fishing is A Peaceful & Rewarding Outdoor Activity
Last but not least, what better way to enjoy the great outdoors while social distancing than to go fishing!
Hence, we asked our readers and they gave us tips on the Best Fishing Spots in Frederick County.
Without a doubt, there’s plenty of room for everybody with the rivers, creeks, and ponds spread out in Frederick!
Lastly, now that you’ve read our list, where are you inspired to go?
As always, during this time where social distancing is a necessity, residents are reminded to continue washing hands, maintaining appropriate physical distance, & wearing a face covering.
Importantly, the more diligent we are about this, the quicker our lives can return to a ‘new’ normal!
Finally, for more posts on things to do while social distancing, click on over to: