With the economy the way it is, everyone can benefit from our list of free things to do in Frederick, Md this Summer!
Whether you were born and raised in Frederick or you’re a visitor to Frederick, our town has SO much to offer!
And because we’re so nice, we’ve also included low cost summer activities because they’re so close to free that we wouldn’t want you to miss out on them!
Free Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer
So, here are a few of our personal favorite low cost and free things to do in Frederick, Md this Summer!
Whether it’s in Frederick, or somewhere near Frederick, you can find deals on excursions that you might never have thought to do!
Be sure to click on these links to find great deals on things to do this Summer!
Also, while you’re out and about, you gotta eat, so go to Restaurant.com to find the best deals on our foodie lover’s town!
And if you’re visiting overnight, go to Trip Advisor to find the best rates on local hotels.
1. Frederick County Public Libraries
There are a total of 8 libraries in Frederick County.
- C. Burr Artz
- Brunswick Branch
- Emmitsburg Branch
- Middletown Branch
- Edward F. Fry Memorial Library at Point of Rocks
- Thurmont Regional
- Urbana Regional
- Walkersville Branch
The libraries are a great place to start when looking for free things to do in Frederick Md.
They all offer so many fun programs during the summer for all ages.
Here is the program calendar for FCPL.
From story times, playgroups, clubs, and classes, FCPL has something for kids of ALL ages!
2. Free Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer in Downtown Frederick
- Summer Concert Series – Free Live Music at Baker Park’s Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theatre is FREE in the mornings for the kiddos.
- Frederick’s 4th, the biggest 4th of July fireworks event in Frederick, Md.
- First Saturday in Downtown Frederick is super popular!
- Alive @ Five every Thursday from May through September, Downtown Frederick is abuzz with an outdoor happy hour and live music at Carroll Creek (only $5)
3. Free Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer at Public & State Parks
More free things to do in Frederick, Md include getting outdoors!
We’re SO lucky to have so many outdoor options here in Frederick.
One option is to take a trip out to Gathland State Park.
But, before you go, read up on Exploring Burkittsville, MD.
And here’s a HUGE list of more FREE & low cost parks in Frederick County (check with each state park to confirm whether or not it’s free entry or $3 per car or person):
- Baker Park
- Ballenger Creek Park
- Middletown Park
- Carroll Creek Park
- Catoctin Mountain National Park
- Cunningham Falls State Park
- Doubs Meadow Park
- Gambrill State Park
- Greenbrier State Park
- Buckeystown Park
- C&O Canal Visitor Center
- Catoctin Aqueduct
- Creagerstown Park
- Devilbiss Bridge Park
- Green Hill Park
- Jug Bridge Monument Park
- Kemptown Park
- Libertytown Park
- Memorial Park
- Old National Pike Park
- Pinecliff Park
- Point of Rocks Park
- Urbana Community Park
- Urbana District Park
- Utica District Park
- Wiles Branch Park
- Washington Monument State Park
- Remsburg Park
- Middletown Memorial Park
With all these parks available to us, it makes sense to keep a nice, big outdoor picnic blanket, a couple of folding chairs, and a folding, collapsible picnic insulated bag stowed in the trunk of your car.
You never know when you’ll want to drop everything on a gorgeous day and hit up one of Frederick County’s parks to enjoy the beautiful weather!
4. Frederick County Scenic Drives
Frederick County has several scenic, historic byways you can enjoy by car or by bicycle.
Take a tour of The Covered Bridges of Frederick County.
It’s such a nice, scenic ride and an absolutely gorgeous reminder of days gone by.
Other scenic byways are:
- Historic National Road
- Journey Through Hallowed Ground
- Chesapeake & Ohio Canal
- Antietam Campaign
- Old Main Streets
5. Flying Dog Brewery Tours
The tasting room at Flying Dog Brewery is open for free tours Thursday through Sunday.
Tours are only available to those 21 years of age and older.
Be sure to book your tour online before going.
6. Surreybrooke Gardens
Surreybrooke Gardens is a garden center, but it’s so much more than that!
With their historic gardens and outbuildings, you can stroll through the grounds and feel like you’re frolicking back in time.
7. Free Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer at Nature Centers
These nature centers are free to get in the buildings.
In addition visitors can hike, fish, play in the creek, and even enjoy geocaching.
8. Frederick County Movies – Free & Low Cost
Summer time is always a great time to go to the movies, especially if it’s just too darn hot outside or we get an unexpected rainy day.
- Free Movie Nights
- Offered once a month from June through October at the Carroll Creek Ampitheater!
- Beer, wine, and snacks are available for purchase before and during the movies at Carroll Creek.
- Regal Westview & IMAX
- Really nice set of theaters located in the heart of Frederick.
- Go to Fandango to buy your tickets online! It’s way more convenient and you can waltz right into the theater to buy your popcorn without having to wait in line at the ticket box.
- Join Westview’s VIP+ Club and earn points to save money on future visits.
- In addition, they offer $1 kid movies every Tuesday and Wednesday morning through their Summer Movie Express promo.
- Be sure to check Westview’s website for the latest promotions and deals.
9. Frederick County History & Museums – Free & Low Cost
If you’re a history buff, check out Mount Olivet Cemetery.
It’s a gorgeous, very serene, and hugely historic cemetery where Francis Scott Key is buried.
Yup, he’s the guy who wrote the Start Spangled Banner!
Before you go, read our post on Historic Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Other historic sites & museums in Frederick County:
- Historical Society of Frederick County
- National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.
- National Museum of Civil War Medicine (Groupon always has deals)
- Rose Hill Manor Park & Museums
- Brunswick Heritage Museum
- Frederick County Fire & Rescue Museum
- Middletown Valley Historical Society Museum
- Schifferstadt Architectural Museum
- Roger B. Taney House
- Roads and Rails Museum
- Catoctin Iron Furnace
- The Original Playhouse Children’s Museum
10. Frederick County Vacation Bible Schools – Low Cost
Vacation Bible Schools (VBS) are a great option for a low cost, fun summer camp for younger children.
You can find a VBS at most local churches in Frederick County.
Just Google ‘Vacation Bible Schools Near Me’ and you’ll get a nice list of local participating churches.
Back when my son attended VBS, it only cost $20 for the entire week (Monday through Friday, 9am to 12pm)
You really can’t beat that price for a fun-filled, action-packed morning full of Bible-based themed activities, team building, crafts, songs, and movies.
In addition, if your kids are a little bit older, they can still participate in Vacation Bible School by being helpers and volunteering to help the church with activities.
11. Frederick County Carnivals – Low Cost
Summer equals carnivals!
Trust me when I suggest to you to bring a sackpack for the stuffed animals and prizes you’ll win at the carnival!
You’ll definitely want to stay hands-free for riding the rides and walking around.
Here’s a great list of local carnivals:
- Mother Seton School Carnival
- The Great Boonsboro Rescue Co. Carnival
- Gamber Community Fire Co. Carnival
- Union Bridge Fire Co. Carnival
- New Windsor Fire & Hose Co. Carnival
- Mount Airy Community Carnival
- Carroll Manor Fire Co. Carnival
- Taneytown Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Sykesville Freedom Fire Co. Carnival
- Harney Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Walkersville Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Manchester Fire Co. Carnival
- Middletown Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Guardian Hose Co. Carnival
- Winfield Community Volunteer Fire Dept. Carnival
- Burkittsville Ruritan Club Carnival
- Urbana Volunteer Fire & Rescue Co. Carnival
- Reese Fire Co. Carnival
- Mt. Airy Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Jefferson Ruritan Club Carnival
- Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Rocky Ridge Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Libertytown Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
12. Swimming Pools in Frederick County – Low Cost
Staying local for the summer can save you thousands of dollars in vacation costs.
Therefore, why not use some of that money and join one of the several pools in Frederick County?
Here’s a list of Frederick County Swimming Pools:
- Braddock Heights Pool
- Edward P. Thomas Memorial Pool
- William R. Diggs Memorial Pool
- Brunswick Municipal Pool
Life is good!
13. Free Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer at Farmers Markets
For all the foodies in Frederick, you won’t have a hard time locating a farmer’s market almost every day of the week during the spring and summer months.
Read up on our Farmers Markets in Frederick County experience and you’ll find a link there for all of the area’s market dates, times, and locations.
Be sure to bring your Farmer’s Market Bag with you for all the goodies you’ll be bringing home!
14. Frederick County Earth, Space, & Science Lab – Low Cost
If you’re looking for a fun, educational experience for the kiddos, we LOVE the Earth Space and Science Lab (ESSL).
Take a look at our trip to the ESSL to see all the things they have to offer.
In the past, Terri and I have taken our boys here and were super impressed with everything they had to offer.
Obviously a must-visit for children and adults alike.
15. Athletics in Frederick County – Low Cost
For some extra activity in your child’s life and to sharpen their athletic skills, try out an athletic summer camp.
As an example, The Athlete Factory has a great reputation for teaching kids the fundamentals of baseball and softball, as well as improving their skills.
More athletic summer camps in Frederick County:
- Tuscarora Tennis
- FISC Frederick Indoor Sports Center
- Parks & Recreation
- Frederick YMCA
- City of Frederick
Also, check out these athletic associations throughout Frederick County.
These organizations offer year-round organized sports:
- Mountain Valley Baseball
- Middletown Valley Athletic Association (MVAA)
- Linganore Oakdale Urbana Youth Athletic Association
- Mount Airy Youth Athletic Association
- Wolfsville Myersville Athletic Association
16. Frederick County Performing Arts – Low Cost
Terri’s Live Theatre in Frederick County post is based on her son’s experience growing up participating in the local theatre community.
Frederick has so much to offer in the performing arts.
Here’s a list of Frederick County Performing Arts Theatres:
- Fredericktowne Players
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre
- Way Off Broadway Dinner Theatre
- Thurmont Thespians
- Act Too! Theatre Company
- Valley Theatre
- Maryland Shakespeare Festival
- Other Voices Theatre
- Weinberg Center for the Arts
- New Spire Arts
- Urbana Dance & Performing Arts Studio
- Mid Maryland Performing Arts Center
- Mt. Airy Performing Arts Center
- Sky Stage
- Summerfest Family Theatre
- New Spire Arts
17. Frederick County Wineries – Low Cost
See our experience at Linganore Winecellars here at What Happens at the Winery, Stays at the Winery.
Before you go though, check Groupon for any current deals.
Here’s a list of other Frederick County Wineries:
- Orchid Cellar Meadery & Winery
- Big Cork Vineyards
- Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard
- Loew Vineyards
- Black Ankle Vineyards
- Elk Run Vineyards
- Red Heifer Winery
- Catoctin Breeze Vineyard & Winery
- Mazzaroth Vineyard
- Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery
- Hidden Hills Vineyard
- Distillery Lane Ciderworks
- Willow Oaks Craft Cider & Wine
18. Frederick County Summer Camps – Low Cost
For kids of all ages, including adults, be sure to bookmark the Recreater.
There are so many additional summer camps besides what’s in the Recreater that they’re too many to list.
Particularly for the teens in your life, we’ve put together a great list of 14 of the Best Summer Camps for Teens in Frederick.
19. Frederick County Zoo – Low Cost
The Catoctin Wildlife Preserve & Zoo is located right here in Frederick County!
This zoo has so many interesting animals from all over the world, cool exhibits, and fun safari rides.
For more information, read our post, Catoctin Zoo: How to Have an Awesome Day Trip.
20. Frederick County Minor League Baseball – Low Cost
You can’t call it summer until you’ve gone to a minor league baseball game right here in Frederick!
The Frederick Keys are a minor league team and the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles.
You’ll get that ‘take me out to the ballgame’ experience without having to leave town.
Don’t forget to bring your baseball glove for that chance of catching a foul ball!
Also, Groupon always has deals on Frederick Keys Baseball games.
21. Free Things to Do in Frederick Md This Summer at Valley View Acres – Sunflower Festival
With Valley View Acres’ multi-weekend Sunflower Festival being only $2 to get in and free to kids 5 & under, this is a must-do on your summertime checklist!
See our post on everything Valley View Acres has to offer including amazing photo ops, cut your own sunflowers and wildflowers, food, ice cream from a local dairy farm, and some shopping too!
Wow! Now that’s quite a list!
In conclusion, we’d love to hear from you if you have any “best kept secrets” or great free things to do in Frederick Md during the summer.
And by all means, have a fabulous summer!
For more FREE stuff and things for your kids to do, check out our posts on:
- Low Carb Shrimp Alfredo Fettuccine with Tofu Shirataki Noodles - April 28, 2021
- 2021 Mother’s Day Gift Guide For Frederick Md: Thoughtful Gifts For Mom - April 19, 2021
- Easy Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies - April 16, 2021