With the economy the way it is, everyone can benefit from our list of free & low cost summer activities in Frederick, Maryland.
Whether you were born and raised in Frederick or you’re a visitor to Frederick, our town has SO much to offer!
Free & Low Cost Summer Activities in Frederick, Maryland
Here are a few of our personal favorites.
But first, before you look at our list, Groupon and Living Social always have specials going on, whether it’s in Frederick, or somewhere near Frederick, you can find deals on excursions that you might never have thought to do!
While you’re out and about, you gotta eat, so go to Restaurant.com to find the best deals on our foodie lover’s town!
And if you’re visiting overnight, go to Trip Advisor to find the best rates on local hotels.
Movie Theaters in Frederick County
Summer time is always a great time to go to the movies, especially if it’s just too darn hot outside or we get an unexpected rainy day.
Before walking out the door, go online to get tickets and showtimes!
You can walk right into the theater and buy your popcorn without having to wait in line at the ticket box.
Here’s a list of movie theaters in Frederick County:
Parks in Frederick County
If you like to get outdoors, take a trip out to Gathland State Park.
But, before you go, read up on Exploring Burkittsville, MD.
Here’s a HUGE list of more parks in Frederick County:
- Baker Park
- Ballenger Creek Park
- Middletown Park
- Carroll Creek Park
- Catoctin Mountain National Park
- Cunningham Falls State Park
- Doubs Meadow Park
- Gambrill State Park
- Greenbrier State Park
- Buckeystown Park
- C&O Canal Visitor Center
- Catoctin Aqueduct
- Catoctin Creek Park & Nature Center
- Creagerstown Park
- Devilbiss Bridge Park
- Fountain Rock Park & Nature Center
- Green Hill Park
- Jug Bridge Monument Park
- Kemptown Park
- Libertytown Park
- Memorial Park
- Old National Pike Park
- Pinecliff Park
- Point of Rocks Park
- Urbana Community Park
- Urbana District Park
- Utica District Park
- Wiles Branch Park
- Washington Monument State Park
- Remsburg Park
- Middletown Memorial Park
Frederick County Public Libraries
There are a total of 8 libraries in Frederick County.
They all offer so many fun programs during the summer for all ages.
Here is the program calendar for FCPL.
Earth, Space, & Science Lab in Frederick County
If you’re looking for a fun, educational experience for the kiddos, we LOVE the Earth Space and Science Lab (ESSL).
Take a look at our trip to the ESSL to see all the things they have to offer.
Terri and I have taken our boys here and were super impressed with everything they had to offer.
A must-visit for children and adults alike.
Vacation Bible Schools in Frederick County
Vacation Bible Schools (VBS) are a great option for a low cost, fun summer camp for younger children.
You can find a VBS at most local churches in Frederick County.
Back when my son attended VBS, it only cost $20 for the entire week (Monday through Friday, 9am to 12pm)
You really can’t beat that price for a fun-filled, action-packed morning full of Bible-based themed activities, team building, crafts, songs, and movies.
Athletics in Frederick County
For some extra activity in your child’s life and to sharpen their athletic skills, try out an athletic summer camp.
Extra Innings has an amazing reputation for teaching kids (ages 7 to 13) the fundamentals of baseball and improving their skills.
Also, check out other athletic associations throughout Frederick County.
These organizations offer year-round organized sports.
My son has had years of experience playing baseball for Middletown Valley Athletic Association (MVAA).
Swimming Pools in Frederick County
Staying local for the summer can save you thousands of dollars in vacation costs.
Why not use some of that money and join one of the several pools in Frederick County?
Here’s a list of Frederick County Swimming Pools:
- Braddock Heights Pool
- Edward P. Thomas Memorial Pool
- William R. Diggs Memorial Pool
- Brunswick Municipal Pool
Free Summer Concerts in Frederick County
Every Sunday during the months of June, July, and August, bring a picnic and head on over to Baker Park’s Bandshell for some great live music.
Go to Celebrate Frederick for the list of bands playing.
Frederick County History & Museums
If you’re a history buff, check out Mount Olivet Cemetery.
It’s a gorgeous, very serene, and hugely historic cemetery where Francis Scott Key is buried.
Yup, he’s the guy who wrote the Start Spangled Banner!
Before you go, read our post on Historic Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Other historic sites & museums in Frederick County:
- Historical Society of Frederick County
- National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.
- National Museum of Civil War Medicine (Groupon always has deals)
- Rose Hill Manor Park & Museums
- Brunswick Heritage Museum
- Frederick County Fire & Rescue Museum
- Middletown Valley Historical Society Museum
- Schifferstadt Architectural Museum
- Roger B. Taney House
- Roads and Rails Museum
- Catoctin Iron Furnace
- The Original Playhouse Children’s Museum
Covered Bridges of Frederick County
For more of Frederick’s history, take a tour of The Covered Bridges of Frederick County.
They’re absolutely gorgeous and a reminder of days gone by.
Performing Arts in Frederick County
Terri’s Live Theatre in Frederick County post is based on her son’s experience growing up participating in the local theatre community.
Frederick has so much to offer in the performing arts.
Here’s a list of Frederick County Performing Arts Theatres:
- Fredericktowne Players
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre
- Way Off Broadway Dinner Theatre
- Thurmont Thespians
- Act Too! Theatre Company
- Valley Theatre
- Maryland Shakespeare Festival
- Other Voices Theatre
- Weinberg Center for the Arts
- New Spire Arts
- Urbana Dance & Performing Arts Studio
- Mid Maryland Performing Arts Center
- Mt. Airy Performing Arts Center
- Sky Stage
- Summerfest Family Theatre
Farmers Markets in Frederick County
For all the foodies in Frederick, you won’t have a hard time locating a farmer’s market almost every day of the week during the spring and summer months.
Read up on our Farmers Markets in Frederick County experience and you’ll find a link there for all of the area’s market dates, times, and locations.
Wineries in Frederick County
See our experience at Linganore Winecellars here at What Happens at the Winery, Stays at the Winery.
Before you go though, check Groupon for any current deals.
Here’s a list of other Frederick County Wineries:
- Orchid Cellar Meadery & Winery
- Big Cork Vineyards
- Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard
- Loew Vineyards
- Black Ankle Vineyards
- Elk Run Vineyards
- Red Heifer Winery
- Catoctin Breeze Vineyard & Winery
- Mazzaroth Vineyard
- Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery
- Hidden Hills Vineyard
- Distillery Lane Ciderworks
- Willow Oaks Craft Cider & Wine
Summer Camps in Frederick County
For kids of all ages, including adults, be sure to bookmark the Recreater.
There are so many additional summer camps besides what’s in the Recreater that they’re too many to list.
We will be offering an entire blog post on summer camps in Frederick, Maryland and will link up to it very soon!
Zoo in Frederick County
The Catoctin Wildlife Preserve & Zoo is located right here in Frederick County!
This zoo has so many interesting animals from all over the world, cool exhibits, and fun safari rides.
Frederick Keys Baseball
You can’t call it summer until you’ve gone to a minor league baseball game right here in Frederick!
The Frederick Keys are a minor league team and the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles.
You’ll get that ‘take me out to the ballgame’ experience without having to leave town.
Groupon always has deals on Frederick Keys Baseball games.
Carnivals in Frederick County
Summer equals carnivals.
Here’s a list:
- Mother Seton School Carnival
- The Great Boonsboro Rescue Co. Carnival
- Gamber Community Fire Co. Carnival
- Union Bridge Fire Co. Carnival
- New Windsor Fire & Hose Co. Carnival
- Mount Airy Community Carnival
- Carroll Manor Fire Co. Carnival
- Taneytown Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Sykesville Freedom Fire Co. Carnival
- Harney Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Walkersville Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Manchester Fire Co. Carnival
- Middletown Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Guardian Hose Co. Carnival
- Winfield Community Volunteer Fire Dept. Carnival
- Burkittsville Ruritan Club Carnival
- Urbana Volunteer Fire & Rescue Co. Carnival
- Reese Fire Co. Carnival
- Mt. Airy Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Jefferson Ruritan Club Carnival
- Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Rocky Ridge Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
- Libertytown Volunteer Fire Co. Carnival
Alive @ Five on Carroll Creek
Every Thursday from May through September, Carroll Creek is abuzz with an outdoor happy hour and live music.
Cost is only $5.
Go to Downtown Frederick Partnership for more details.
Free Yoga in Frederick County
And if all else fails and you’re stressing too much over what to do, there’s Free Yoga on Carroll Creek.
We’d love to hear from you if you have any “best kept secrets” or great free or low cost activities to do in Frederick over the summer.
And by all means, have a fabulous summer!
This post contains affiliate links, we earn a small commission which goes to build the blog. Thanks for your support!
Latest posts by Pam (see all)
- 14 of the Best Summer Camps for Teens in Frederick - March 14, 2019
- Free Food On Your Birthday in Frederick, Md - March 13, 2019
- Online Grocery Shopping in Frederick, Md - February 21, 2019